Thursday, August 31, 2006

Back to School

Last week my big kids went back to school. I thought I would REALLY be looking forward to having them gone for part of the day, but it turns out I miss them. They have grown so much, and I find that I enjoy their company most of the time now. They are also very helpful with the little ones. This is their time though, and they really enjoy having the chance to get out and spend time with their friends.

Since it was time to go back to school, it was time to start home schooling too. At the end of last school year, we found out that there was a place for Daniel in the program that runs through our school district. I thought this would be a good way to have some support with the curriculum, but still give him the friendlier learning environment at home. He plans on going back to public school for Middle School next year, so I hoped this would aid in the transition. Boy was I wrong! That has to be the most ridiculous program I have ever seen. I really think that they have set people up to fail. I guess it would be cheaper for the district if they could do away with the program all together.

So, it was time to put my thinking cap on and figure out what to do next. I wanted to find a good, all-around curriculum that Daniel would enjoy, but wouldn't take over my every waking moment. After some research, I think we found it. Daniel will be starting California Virtual Academy this Tuesday. I am VERY excited about it, and more importantly, so is Daniel!

1 comment:

smiliesar said...

How is Daniel doing with the virtual school. I checked out the web site and it looks pretty neat. I can still remember in 7th grade and we were given the assignment to describe schools in the future. I said we would be sitting at home and having class on the TV. It's crazy that technology has actually brought us that far in only 13 years!