Monday, December 04, 2006

It's a Mystery (Updated)

Over the past few months, I have had the good fortune to make a few friends out in the great, big blogosphere. Our ages, vocations and locations vary widely, but one thing is a constant. We are all parents (or waiting to be parents), and our families are the center of our lives. One of my sweet internet friends, ever mindful of my tender, sensitive Mommy feelings, sent me this email (privately, of course).....

OK - where are Grace's teeth? I'm sure there's a good reason I'm not seeing any - I'm just curious. Not that it matters - she's about the cutest thing walking.

So, with no hesitation, I shot this one back.....

I don't know. The truth is, none have come in yet, and there doesn't seem to be any sign of any coming in the immediate future. I asked the pediatrician about it at her 12 month check-up. He assured me that it is not all that uncommon for some children to get teeth later than others. He said he treated a family that included several children that didn't get their first tooth until they were about 18 months. Since we don't know her genetic history, and she has been growing like gang busters since she got home, he didn't want to jump to any hasty conclusions about the lack of teeth. After seeing my obvious concern, he did concede to ordering x-rays if we still didn't see anything by 15 months. That date came this past week. I guess it's time for me to call the good doctor. Ugh! I can't imagine what we are going to have to deal with when they try to take dental x-rays from a 15 month old child. Prayers would be good.

PS She is awfully cute, huh?!!


Leave it to a friend (even one that I have never met face to face, that lives a couple thousand miles away) to remind me to get off my lazy buns, and take care of business. Especially the kind of thing that, as a Mom, I kinda don't want to know the answer to. Just in case it's not what I want it to be. Of course, that would be rather pessimistic of me, wouldn't it? God sure does know when we need a little shove, doesn't He?

Thanks, Perri, for sending that email. 8^)


teething



Update: Grace is scheduled to see the pediatrician next Tuesday, but I doubt the x-rays will be taken that day. Unless he can see something that none of the rest of us can, I don't imagine he will have too much to say until we have x-rays to look at. I'll be sure to keep you all posted.

Thanks to those that took the time to comment or send me a private email. It is always a comfort to know there are other parents out there to lend their knowledge and support. 8^)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alijah will be 11 months in just a few days and still has no signs of teeth. I figure that maternal health/care/nutrition during pregnancy & his early nutrition (or lack there of) play just as big a part as genetics in this delay. But, just like Grace, he has grown a ton and is on target developmentally, so not really too worried yet. Thanks for the info on the x-rays...hadn't gotten that far in the discussion with our doc yet.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, the standard deviation is so huge with so many developmental milestones, that it just doesn't make too much sense to worry about it. Yorie is right on target with her teeth (thanks for the chart; it was good to know that the 4th tooth comes in before the 3rd since she's got a little gap right now), but she didn't start walking till 4 weeks ago at 15.5 months. Grace was walking when we saw you back in Sept(?) and she's a month younger.

Brianna Heldt said...

Our boys' teeth have been coming in like crazy since coming home, however Biniam is still missing two bottom ones that I am getting concerned about. He also has a bad underbite, poor kid. Suffice it to say I think he'll need a bit of dental/orthodontal work at some point.

Please keep us posted on what the dentist finds out.