Thursday, December 21, 2006

Let it Snow

A while back, I did a post about missing the wintry weather of my childhood, but appreciating our ice and jacket free winters in sunny Southern California. This past weekend, I had occasion to visit my childhood hometown. It was a whirlwind trip, taken especially for my sister's wedding, but still long enough to get a taste of the differences. The tips of my fingers and toes were rarely warm, and going outside without a jacket was simply not an option. Upon my return, I stepped out of the airport in San Diego, and basked in the warm, glorious sunshine. Ahhhhh....Home!

I must make note here; there was not a flake of snow to be found while I was in the Denver area. There was a chilly bite in the air, but the skies were clear and sunny. My flights were smooth and timely, and we never even saw a hint of ice on the roads. That is most definitely not the case today! About 48 hours ago, the weather took a turn for the worse. The snow started to fall at an alarming rate, and didn't stop until late today. The total accumulation varies depending on the specific region one might be in, but 18 inches to 36 inches, with 6 foot plus snowdrifts, is not uncommon. Wow!!!! The visibility was near zero, and thousands of Holiday travelers have been stranded in the airports. The latest word from the local clan is, "We are staying in where it's warm, and enjoying the view outside." There's not much point in doing anything else, since it will be at least a couple days before the plows get around the whole city to make it safe to commute again. Oh, how I am counting my blessings to be home with my family right now. We have had our famous frost warnings again the last few nights, but the skies are bright and sunny. Our ability to get around town will not be dependent on a plow anytime soon, and the latest weather report calls for a high of 68 degrees on Christmas Day. Yes....we are blessed.


Snowdrifts as high as the 2nd floor balcony!!
About 18" of snowThat's Mary and Joseph peaking up out of the snow. Baby Jesus is nowhere to be found.

Updated: Now, they are predicting a high of 77 degrees on Christmas day. This will definitely be a California Christmas. 8^)

3 comments:

Perri said...

Welcome Home and have a Merry Christmas with your beautiful family. I can just imagine the fun Grace will add to the mix.

Anonymous said...

We lucked out and got our Colorado company stranded up here with us for an extra 3 days due to the blizzard - very fun!
MP

KelseyChristine said...

Ah...I LOVE snow