Saturday, November 11, 2006
Magic? Maybe Not
To learn more about what happened to this sweet boy's face, go visit Kerflop's blog. These injuries were caused by a Scotch-Brite(TM) Easy Erasing Pad, which is pretty much identical in its' chemical make-up to the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Pad.
I don't know about all of you, but I have had these products around at my house pretty much since they first came out. I have never hesitated to let my children use them. In fact, my 10 year old asks to use them on a regular basis. He's a bit of a neat-nik. 8^) Anyway, my biggest concern is the lack of warning or concern for public safety that has been shown by these companies. The boxes had no warning at the time of Kerflop's purchase, except "Do not ingest" (Um, can I get a great big DUH?!). This follow up post breaks down the reason that this burn, and many others, happened. I am pleased to see that the Mr. Clean company responded by adding appropriate warnings to their product's containers, but the 3M corporation continues to refuse to take this simple action, or accept any responsibility for the numerous injuries that have been caused by their product.
Shame on you 3M!!!
As for my future, personal use of this type of product....
We will not be buying the 3M product again...Ever!!! I will continue to use the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Pads, but I will proceed with caution. I will wear gloves. I will not allow any younger children to use them. I have shared this information with my older kids, and will only allow them to use the product with gloves and under the direct supervision of an adult.
Consumer (and parents) beware!